MOROCHEY -- #2


Author's Note
Conflict

       The first version of Morochey was a campy children's tale, set in a world chock full of home-brewed lore, with a sad ending. There were gaping plot holes from building the world as I went along. There was no sense of target-audience in a story that was too intense for kids, and too childish for adults. The world itself was complicated, while the characters were simple and one-sided. I knew something had to change, but where would I start?

       I ended up writing two different versions of Morochey. One was of essentially the same story, only with Pyro and Eva aged up to young adults. That way felt a little better in terms of having a clearer sense of whom I was writing the story for. Unfortunately, it was still a little lackluster, and my art wasn't the best it could be at the time.

       I tried again. This time, after studying some more about actually making comics, I settled on telling the story in comic book form. Another rewrite of the story had the tale actually begin after the ending of the original story. By the time I got around to writing this version, I was about 15, and was becoming interested in the dystopian futuristic genre. Following that general model, I began with an adult Pyro and Eva who had turned to a life of crime, and wanted to turn them into robin-hood type criminals.

        I eventually scrapped the idea of them being crooks, because I felt it was the wrong image for the characters themselves. However, a lot of things came from that story that I could end up using later. Different factions, what happened after the end of the Morochey story, and most importantly, the idea of starting at the end, were all seeds that had been planted for the plot of today's MOROCHEY comic.

       I later realized that what my story was lacking before was conflict. Conflict wasn't brought about by sad things happening, or even by good guys doing illegal things. Conflict comes from having a problem that needs to be confronted. Conflict is an obstacle. Conflict is an antagonist. Conflict is what the driving force behind any story is pushing against. The new ideas that came from completely changing the way I looked at the potential of my story became fuel for the central conflict in its final version.

No comments:

Post a Comment